National Immunization Poster Contest
Every other year, Immunize Canada organizes a National Immunization Poster Contest, in conjunction with the Canadian Immunization Conference.
The 2018 contest is being held this fall. It provides Grade 6 students across Canada with an opportunity to submit works of art reflecting their ideas on immunization for good health. The winning posters are then reproduced and distributed in many formats.
The National Winner will receive an iPad, books, and art materials. The National Winner’s school library will receive a donation of science- and biotechnology-themed books.
The National Runner-up will receive an Instax Mini 9 camera and film, a science kit, books, and art materials. The National Runner-up’s school library will receive a donation of science- and biotechnology-themed books.
Each provincial/territorial winner will receive a science kit, books, and art materials.
All original paper artwork submitted to the contest will be retained by Immunize Canada. Winning artwork will be reproduced and displayed at the Canadian Immunization Conference in Ottawa, Ontario from December 4-6, 2018.
Submitted posters will be judged on the following 3 criteria:
- creative (Is the poster imaginative?)
- colourful (Do the bright colours catch your eye?)
- clear message (Does the poster tell us why it is important to immunize kids?)
Resources for Teachers and Students
Teacher's Kit: Integrating immunization education into the Grade 6 curriculum
Provides teachers with resources and ideas organized by curriculum subject matter that may be used to prepare Grade 6 students with their poster contest entries.
Immunize Canada thanks the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE)
of the University of Toronto for reviewing this kit (revised in 2018).
(PDF: 7.9 MB)
- Kids Boost Immunity: sample lessons for teachers
- Credible online resources on immunization (revised June 2018)
- Books for children about immunization
- Our Immune System: A story for children with primary immunodeficiency diseases (Immune Deficiency Foundation, US)
- Immunize Canada's YouTube channel: videos about immunization
- Immunization information on the Internet: Can you trust what you read?
- 20 Questions quiz about immunization & Understanding the Correct Answers
- I Boost Immunity quiz: Earn a vaccine for someone in need
- Hilleman: A Perilous Quest to Save the World’s Children (video)
- Vaccine Trivia: Just the Vax (online vaccine quiz, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, USA)
Winning Posters from Past Contests
National Winners 2016
Provincial Winners 2016
(No entries were received from Yukon, the Northwest Territories, or from Nunavut for the 2016 Poster Contest.)